Frequently Asked Questions

How can I roster with one of the family physicians?

The family physicians in Atikokan, ON are contracted to care for all members of Atikokan and the surrounding areas. Their rosters open and close according to appointment availability; the clinic reception will advise you as to which physicians' practices are open.

What if I need a travel grant?

One of the changes the clnic has made since the COVID-19 outbreak is to reduce foot traffic in the physical clinic space. Travel Grants can be downloaded online and printed from here, and taken to the specialist's office for signature. Once completed by the specialist, bring your travel grant to the clinic building and place it in the black drop box located on the wall in the lobby at the top of the stairs. Before placing it in, ensure your portion is complete and all receipts are attached. We will complete the physicians section and mail it on your behalf.

Why do I need to bring my medication bottles with me to the clinic?

Even if your physician has access to your medical records, bringing in your medication bottles ensures that your doctor has the most up to date information possible from which to make medical decisions.

What if I need a same day/urgent appointment?

The clinic offers same-day appointments available for your urgent health care needs. If the urgent same-day appointments are filled before you call us and your concern is of a truly urgent nature, the Emergency Department at Atikokan General Hospital is open 24/7. Please remember to try and book appointments for medication refills and any other routine concerns ahead of time in case we cannot accommodate you on short notice.

What payment methods do you accept?

Since the COVID-19 pandemic, our preference is that you call in a credit card (MC, VISA. or AMEX). We also accept cash if necessary.

What if I have an expired/lost/stolen health card?

The medical clinic will attempt to provide you the care you require, but we ask that you replace your health card as soon as possible and provide our administrative staff with your updated number and/or version code.

What do I need to know before I travel?

Prepare for your health care needs before you travel. Health Canada offers suggestions for a travel health kit: Think about: Immunization, Mediation and Health Insurance. Immunization The Public Health Agency of Canada has immunization recommendations for travellers on their travel health website. If you are unsure of your immunization needs, contact the North Western Health Unit. Medication Health Canada’s travelling with medications website provides a comprehensive list of things to consider. It is important to prepare your medications when planning travel. Discuss the use of medications with your health care provider well in advance of your departure and follow the directions for use carefully, including dosage and when to seek medical care. Bring more than enough medication to last your entire trip. If you will need repeats from your doctor please schedule your appointment 3-4 weeks before travel. Also, pharmacies usually require several business days to order in large quantities of medications required for travel. Do not assume the pharmacy will have enough supply to fill your full order without advance notice. When bringing prescription medication with you into another country, remember:

  • Bring a note from your health care provider listing your medications.
  • Bring a copy of your original prescription with both the generic and trade names.
  • The name on your prescription and medication label should match the name on your boarding pass.
  • Leave all prescription and non-prescription medications in their original, labelled containers. Do not try to save luggage space by combining medications into a single container. Keep your medication and documentation in your carry-on luggage.
  • Be prepared in case your medication is lost or stolen.
  • Bring more than enough medication to last your entire trip, and some extra in case of an unexpected delay.
  • Bring a copy of your original prescription with both the generic and trade names.
  • Do not buy medication outside Canada unless you have been advised to do so by a health care professional.
For more information, visit: Health Insurance If you are a resident of Ontario and you are insured under OHIP, you are entitled to very limited funding for a certain range of medical services when you are travelling outside of Canada. You can learn more about travelling outside Canada on the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care’s website: Ontario residents are encouraged to purchase supplementary insurance when traveling outside Canada as many emergency health services provided outside the country cost much more than OHIP may pay.